Layouts Index Home Page
Description based on material supplied by the layout owner
Coleford, surprisingly for an isolated market town in the Forest of Dean had two railway stations. The Severn and Wye Railway (S&W) wound its way up from Lydney via Parkend, arriving in 1875. This was much to the annoyance of the Great Western Railway, which arrived from Monmouth some years later. It is the S&W station which forms the basis of this model railway.
Passenger traffic on the S&W ceased in 1929, but the line remained open to freight until 1967 with dispatches of free miners’ coal, daily ballast trains from Whitecliff Quarry, and receipts of general goods and household coal.
The model is based closely on Coleford and assumes that passenger services continued until closure of the line. Stock is a mixture of ready to run and kit build, and represents what actually did, or reasonably could have run on the branch during the final years.
Operation is analogue and points are operated manually in prototype fashion.
Return to Home Page